About Faith In Action
In The News
Below is a list of news stories about churches that have participated or plan to participate in Faith in Action.
- The mind-set is how the church could be different
- Church steps out to serve community
- 85 Churches Participate in a Faith in Action Weekend!
- Looking Back on Faith in Action, 2010
- Faith in Action crews going to work Oct. 10
- NM Fellowship celebrates “Faith in Action” weekend
The church is leaving the building and, this Sunday, the community will be glad they did.
- Hollyview church clean-up puts faith into action
- Methodist pastor in Opp actually wants members to skip church Sunday; wants them to help in community instead
- Faith in Action weekend HUGE SUCCESS
Faith in Action is a ministry that encourages Christians to mobilize and “Be the Church,” practicing their faith by serving critical needs within their community. Volunteers totaling 193 and representing 22 local ministries joined the Fuller Center, in collaboration with two other Americus faith-based nonprofit organizations: New Horizons Habitat for Humanity and Koinonia Farm.
- Westbury Baptist had its second annual Faith in Action Day
Sunday, October 10, 2010, Westbury Baptist had its second annual Faith in Action Day. Here’s a brief record of the ministry they did on the day that “the church left the building.”
- When canceled church is a good thing
- Faith in Action spreads charity
- Church Members Participate in National Service Day
- Church Cancels Services to Help Community
A church cancelled its Sunday services - so worshippers could help in the community instead. Fifty worshippers from Hart Plain Church near Waterlooville spent their Sunday washing people's cars, handing out bacon sandwiches, clearing litter and helping homeless people instead. Read more...
- The Rock Church in San Diego reaching out to their community
Despite the rain, the wind and the mud, thousands of people lined up around Memorial Park and Recreation Center yesterday for an early bit of Christmas. The 13th annual Toys for Joy event at the park at 30th Street and Ocean View Boulevard offered toys for children and a variety of services for adults and families.
- Church spends Sunday helping community
When heading out into the community Sunday morning, members of the Capstone Church didn’t know what would happen.
- Bethany Presbyterian steps out in community to help
"God is amazing; He's the one who pulled this all together," said Dianne Johnson, a Bridgeton resident and congregation member at Bethany.
- A Great News Story from Cedar Hills Community Church
CEDAR RAPIDS - Nice weather made for a perfect day for the Cedar Hills Community Church to go out and serve the community.
- 80 volunteer with Fuller Center for National “Faith in Action” Sunday
Sunday morning, while many people dressed up to attend their regular morning worship services, nearly 80 members of Cornerstone Church in Americus, Ga. put on their painting gear and headed out into the cool, overcast day.
- The Big Serve: Bartlesville area churches to cancel Sunday services to hit the streets
Several Bartlesville churches are putting their faith in action on Oct. 18 when traditional services will be cancelled in favor of providing community service
- Christian Post: Churchgoers Redefine Worship with Faith in Action
It's a risky move for many pastors but dozens of churches decided to cancel their weekend worship services and put their faith in action.
- Keizer congregation takespart in national campaign
By Jillian Daley • Statesman Journal • October 12, 2009 Jorge Garcia held a quivering, 4-pound Chihuahua in his arms while waiting in line for free vet services Sunday at McNary High School. Tinka, the 18-month-old puppy, needed a flea shot and checkup, and thanks to Lakepoint Community Church of Keizer, which had a special community service day at the Keizer school, she got it.
- McFarland Hill Baptist to close doors for outreach project
While canceling church on Sunday might seem like a radical move, that is exactly what Pastor David Eaton of McFarland Hill Baptist will do Oct. 11.
- St Joes News - Local churches unite this weekend to reach out to the community
For the past three years, St. Joe Serve has made one Sunday a year a little bit out of the ordinary. Instead of adhering to their normal schedules, more than a dozen churches throughout the city have moved or canceled their morning services the second Sunday in October in order to serve the community through projects such as home restorations and city clean-up projects. And this year will be no different — other than that St. Joe Serve has now expanded to include Saturday, as well.
- Faith In Action Try It -- You Might Like It
The sanctuary at Bradford’s Church of the Brethren was empty Sunday morning because the congregation spent their regular Sunday service time volunteering. Church leaders changed the date of the National Faith in Action day scheduled on October 11, 2009 because of Bradford’s annual Pumpkin Show. Hundreds of volunteer members of the church worked at 11 different locations. They tackled all kinds of projects so that everyone could do something to help. From kindergarten to a 93 year old senior, everyone pitched in to care for others!
- Church project nears completion of Hagerman Police Department renovation
HAGERMAN - The Hagerman Christian Center celebrated the dedication of the nearly renovated Hagerman Police Department after putting a summer's worth of work into the building. Hagerman Christian Center Pastor Isaac Tellez said he put in 600 hours of labor alone, while his congregation put in approximately 1,500 hours.
- Church in Bridgeton puts Faith into Action
BRIDGETON -- Pastor Robin Weinstein thinks talk is cheap. During a special service Sunday morning, he implored his congregation to do more than just pay lip service to the needs of the local community. And on Oct. 11, Bethany Presbyterian Church on Pearl Street will do just that.
- Bethany Presbyterian Takes to the Streets
On Oct. 11, the pastor and congregation of Bethany Presbyterian Church will follow the above credo - but they're not holding their regular Sunday worship inside the church
- News 14 - Congregation spends Sunday serving their community
GASTONIA, N.C. – The sanctuary at First United Methodist Church in Gastonia was empty Sunday morning because the congregation spent their regular Sunday service time volunteering. Church leaders called the event Divide and Serve Day. More than 300 members of the church worked at 20 different locations. They tackled all kinds of projects so that everyone could do something to help.
- Real Sunday service
Instead of going to Plain City Presbyterian Church yesterday, Beth Rihl and her family washed windows and swept sidewalks. "We wanted to get the girls and help volunteer and spread the word of God," she said, taking a break from wiping a window alongside her husband, John, and their two daughters, Alexis, 4, and Katelyn, 2, at Lovejoy Plaza in Plain City.
- Fox 4 News: Church Cancels Services to Put Faith into Action
KANSAS CITY, MO. - St. Luke's United Methodist Church canceled Sunday service on July 26 to put their faith into action. And, Truman Elementary School is glad they did.
- Congregations to take service beyond churches
Sunday church services typically involve the congregation filling the pews, but this Sunday the pews will stand empty at three Loveland churches.
- 10 Churches participate in a "Be the Church Day"
Local congregations have organized a “Be the Church Day” for Sunday afternoon when members of different churches will set forth into the community and do work projects such as landscaping, cleaning, painting and window washing.
- City Church of Chattanooga - What a Beautiful Day.
We all worked side by side - that is what truly upgraded this from a good thing… to a beautiful thing. Read more...
- Eden Prairie Presbyterian Church Shares about their FIA Sunday
Here's what some of our participants & recipients had to say...
- The latest Faith in Action Press Release
The latest Faith in Action Press Release - June 25th, 2009
- NEW Google tool to find community service projects
Use this NEW Google tool to find community service projects for your Faith in Action Sunday service projects!
- Church Has Left the Building Blog
Bekah Rosie skipped church on Sunday. So did her Sunday school teacher. So did her pastor.
- New trend: No church on Sunday
- 1,200 Volunteers Put Faith into Action Repairing Homes
- Be the Answer Community Outreach
- Putting Their Faith in Action
- The Church Has Left the Building
Last summer the church where I serve closed their doors on Sunday. Yep…no services…no preaching…no kids’ classes—absolutely nothing happened inside the building on Sunday morning, August 3, 2008. And God was pleased.
- Hagerman church to renovate police station
Pastor Isaac Tellez and the congregation of the Hagerman Christian Center will help renovate the Hagerman Police Department, paint and repair bleachers at the city park, clean Main Street and paint the curves in August.
- Putting their Faith into Action - Greece, NY
While about 60 people signed up to be part of its first-ever “Faith in Action” day, as many as 100 turned out to help at the April 19 event
- Manassas congregation spends Sunday at work, not church
When a local pastor suggested to his congregation that they not go to church this past Sunday, it seemed like a strange request
- ‘The church has left the building’ and is serving the community
There is the bad and the good about closing the church down for a weekend, but there is a lasting impact on the people served and serving.
- 'Faith in Action’ At Herndon Church
Helping homeless in the District.
- Faith in Action Makes Significant Impact in UK!
Hope08, an initiative of the churches of Britain and Ireland, saw Christians across the United Kingdom reach out to their communities with Christ-centered actions throughout last year. The movement was launched to revive the nation’s hope and demonstrate Christ’s love in a practical way.
- 20 Great Ways To Put Your Faith in Action
Christianity Today shares 20 great ways to put your faith into action.
- Church Cancelled, Service Begins.
Excerpted from Outreach magazine, "Features"
- Putting Feet to Their Praying.
IBSA Prayer Ministries
- Seniors meal program fills many needs.
Memphis Commercial Appeal
- Church has Left the Building
The Keller Citizen
- Church members hit streets for holiday
Star Community Newspapers
- Church in The Colony to skip worship service in favor of serving community
- Community Service in Place of Church Service
- Church has Left the Building – Additional Testimonies
Randall Baptist Church Weblog
- Church has Left the Building
A View From the Bridge Weblog
- Church has Left the Building Sunday of Service
Fierce Grace Weblog
- Temecula church devotes Sunday to charity
North County Times
- California Megachurch Cancels Services to 'Be' the church
The Christian Post
- BridgeWay Church puts its faith into action
The News Connection
- Heyworth churches plan to spend Sunday helping out
- Faith in Action in Twain Harte
Sierra Mountain Times
- Church suspends services for a day of giving
King 5 News
- Church has Left the Building Testimonies
Randall Baptist Church Weblog
- Bethesda church joins nationwide campaign
- Churches close doors to serve communities.
- Local churches hit the streets
- Community service trumps church service.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, PA
- North County churches will put their faith into 'Action' Sunday
North County Times
- Prayer at the pump answered in faithful fill up
News 8 CBS, Austin, TX
- Texans get fill of goodwill during church sponsored fuel promotion
KTKA-TV (ABC), Austin, TX
- Church volunteers put action where their faith is
North County Times, San Diego, CA
- Church members to take faith to community
Clarksville Leaf Chronicle, TN
- A different kind of service
Corpus Christi Caller Times, TX
- Pewaukee churchgoers to leave pews for volunteering
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, WI
- Thinking outside the pews: Churches plan service works
The San Diego Union Tribune, CA - SignOnSanDiego.com
- Being the Church, Taking Faith to the Streets
North American Mission Board Newsletter Article
- Church's Sunday Projects to Put Faith in Action
Columbus Dispatch, OH - Dispatch.com
- Showing Real Care by the Bucketful
St. Petersburg Times, FL - Sptimes.com
- Churchgoers Skip Service To Pack Capron Pantry’s Food Boxes
Rockford Register Star, IL
- Sunday Worship for Tangible Faith
The Christian Post - commercialappeal.com
- Congregations do a Different Kind of Sunday Service
Seattle Times, United States
- Members Take Church Message Out to People
- Blessed are Those Who Skip Church
The Gazette (Montreal)- Canada.com
- Churches Urged to Push Service Ahead of Sermons
Kalamazoo Gazette - MLive.com, MI
- Skip Church? Some in U.S. Being Asked To
Reuters - Reuters.com
- Faith in Action: Spreading Mulch, Spreading Joy
World Vision eNews